Friday, March 2, 2012

Databases, SVN, and Help!

Setting up the code repository has been arduous at best. I'm thinking I need to try working on a smaller scale first where I can easily work out the kinks before going for gold.  So I'm working on getting my own coding environment set up at home, so I don't have to work directly on a server.

This is helpful for two reasons: first it helps keep the server environment stable, second it let's me code more aggressively since a stable copy of the whole environment isn't getting put through the ringer.

Also, finally got MySQL (my database of choice) installed on my desktop at home. That took more effort than I first anticipated, mostly because of some conflicts on my box that I hadn't thought about earlier. Regardless, it's installed now and ready to go. My next goal is to get the code I have up and running on that machine and once it's all set up I'll do something similar on my linux machine which will act as a staging (testing) environment.

For those who aren't used to the terminology basically there will be three environments. Development, which is on my local machine (or anyone else's that works on this project!). Staging, which is going to be my Linux Laptop. Stable builds and milestones will get loaded on here where they can be tested in a shadow of a 'live' environment. Then Production which is essentially the 'live' environment that people will either use or install for their own purposes.

My goal is to have this project be as modular as possible, but avoid making redundant functionality and data in that pursuit. This presents a major design challenge since you have to account for each module handling cases where the component is or isn't there. Need to do some more research on this framework before I get a solid plan for standing that up.

Again, if anyone reading this is interested please let me know if you would like to participate! Really I'm looking for every skillset associated with website design. HTML, CSS, Javascript, AJAX, Python, Django-specific stuff, and anything else you can think of. This is very much intended to be a 'for gamers, by gamers' kind of project so additional participation would be great!

No comments:

Post a Comment