Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Installation Process

An interesting issue that has occurred to me. The framework requires a somewhat lengthy installation, with in depth access to the machine you want it to run on. For my set up, Slicehost, is trivial since I have unrestricted root access to the server. I suspect that if this starts to gain traction that people will want to have a somewhat simpler installation process.

I'll have to see what I can do, I don't want to lose all the coding I have done so far so I may need to work on a more friendly installation process. Perhaps build a custom installer, that will make the changes to the appropriate files without major issues. I suppose I could look around for an open source forum engine then rebuild the character manager component to work within the forum, but I have a lot of concerns about the security in the popular forum engines.  I suppose Simple Machines would be secure enough for me to augment with custom code, but then I'm much more restricted than if the forum was built completely from the ground up.

Hopefully I can simplify the installation process, or maybe I can make some money by providing the installation/support for those who don't want to deal with the technical nuances.

Thoughts? Comments? I'm all ears.

2 comments:

  1. Is there significant overlap of people who larp and people who do *not* want to deal with technical nuances ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well not so much with the technological nuances, they like mechanics and rules, not so much computers.

      Delete