Friday, February 17, 2012

A New Project!

Back in 2010, I developed a custom web application for a New World of Darkness larp I was running with several friends of mine. This app allowed players to at any point in time view their current character sheet. While the game was sadly forced to close its doors in the following year, I have held on to this application figuring that when the next game started in our social circle, I would dust it off and offer it up for their uses.

Today, after feeling energized by watching a video by Extra Credits about developers, I decided to Google 'Django Forums' and see what came up. In a split second I found an article that would help me build a rudimentary forum using the same Django Framework. This being the very same framework I built the character manager in, my head began to swim. In it's first implementation, I used the Simple Machines Forum, and leveraged a module that let me use the username/passwords from the SMF forum for people to log in and see their character sheets. If I were to build the forum itself from the ground up, I could give the ability for a much more tightly integrated experience. Also, it would give myself, and any other prospective forum owner total control on how the forum functions.

I need to sit down and start outlining everything I would want this to do, and I am looking for any and all input towards this effort. If anyone wants to be involved in the process (I could especially use visual web designers!) That would be awesome!

I'll be posting more of this as my plans solidify, and probably open a project on github or some other code hosting site.

No comments:

Post a Comment